Parkside Veterinary Group
This privacy notice tells you how Parkside Veterinary Group will collect and process your personal data if you register as a client, purchase our services and products, and use our website.
We comply with the latest data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Please note that we may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time and will post any changes here.
Parkside Veterinary Group is a veterinary surgery with main offices located at 5 Kings Cross Road, Dundee DD2 3PT. We protect the health and well-being of your pets, horses and livestock, offering a range of services that include: diagnosing and treating sick and injured animals, advising owners on the right care, and providing a range of care related products for purchase.
Who to contact regarding your personal data
We take your privacy seriously. Our Data Protection Manager looks after data protection and would be happy to answer any of your questions about this privacy notice and how Parkside Veterinary Group uses your data. They can be contacted at parksidevets.com or by calling the practice on 01382 810777.
The personal data we collect and process
There are four main ways we process the personal data you provide. We endeavor to keep this information accurate and up to date, and not keep it longer than is necessary.
- To administer your account as a surgery client
In order to provide our service effectively and ensure the best possible care for your pet, we need to collect and process the following personal data when we register you as a client.
|Personal data type||How the data is collected|
|First name, Last name||As part of registering to be a client|
|Address||As part of registering to be a client|
|Phone number (normally a mobile)||As part of registering to be a client|
|Email address||As part of registering to be a client|
This personal data will be used for the following services and purposes:
- To administer your account and provide the products and services you have requested from us. For example, invoicing, calling to change an appointment and to keep a record for legal and accounting purposes.
- To inform you by email of service information about the practice. For example, notification of seasonal opening times or changes to out of hours availability.
- If you have pet insurance and you wish to make a claim, we will pass on your pet’s clinical history with your name and address to your insurance company to allow them to process your claim.
If you decide to purchase our healthcare plan and pay by direct debit, you will also need to provide bank account details to set up and confirm your direct debit.
- To send you marketing communications as a surgery client
We send all our clients the following marketing communications:
- Reminders for pet vaccinations and administering preventative healthcare treatments.
- News information on animal welfare, like top tips for exercise and health checks you can do yourself.
- Promotions and the latest related product offers.
Clients find these communications useful in administering care to their pets and to keep up to date with what is going on at the surgery. They are only sent to existing clients who can opt-out at any time.
The personal data that we process for these communications is first name, email address and mobile phone number.
We would like our clients to enjoy these communications, so it is important to note that you can opt-out at any time by:
- Calling our team at the surgery on 01382 810777.
- Dropping into the surgery and speaking to a member of our team.
- To share with veterinary related 3rd parties WITH your consent
There will be occasions where we will need to ask for your consent to share your personal data with a 3rd party:
- If you would like your pet to be referred to a specialist veterinary surgeon, we will provide them with your pet’s clinical history with your name and address to enable them to confirm your referral appointment.
- Should you wish to move to an alternative veterinary surgery, we will provide your pet’s clinical history with your name and address to your new vets before closing your account.
- Should you wish to chip your pet (cats and rabbits), we register your name, address and contact number with the chip provider. Note that chipping dogs and horses is a legal requirement and we share your personal data in this case under a legal obligation to do so.
- When you use our parksidevets.com website
When someone visits parksidevets.com we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things like the number of visitors to the various parts of the website. This information is processed in a way which does not identify anyone.
Parkside Veterinary Group uses a third party service to help maintain the security and performance of our website. To deliver this service it processes the IP addresses (a number assigned to each of your devices connected to the internet by your broadband provider) of visitors to the Parkside Veterinary Group website.
We provide contact forms on our website and collect users’ personal information to help them complete certain tasks. Each form details the information required and an explanation of what the form is for. For general enquiries, once an enquiry has been dealt with, the data is deleted in line with Parkside Veterinary Group procedures.
We do not collect or process sensitive or special category data.
Disclosure of personal data to 3rd parties
We may pass on your personal data to service providers contracted to Parkside Veterinary Group in the course of dealing with you. They act as a data processor on our behalf and are obliged under contract to keep your details secure, and only use them to fulfil the services they provide on our behalf. When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they dispose of it in line with Parkside Veterinary Group procedures.
If we sell any business assets we may disclose your information to the buyer of such business or assets.
Parkside Veterinary Group will not pass on your personal data to any other third parties without your consent unless the law requires us to do so. We do not provide any personal data to the suppliers of the medicines we administer or the pet care products we sell without your explicit consent.
We do use a data processor that provides email services and resides outside the European Economic Area (EEA). This means that the processing of your personal data may involve a transfer of data outside of the EEA.
Our data processor is based in the United States and we may transfer data to them under model contact clauses, which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data as it has in Europe under GDPR.
How long do we process your data for?
Parkside Veterinary Group is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. We also keep client records to comply with our professional liability insurance.
In both cases we keep client records and transactions for a minimum of seven years. This includes full name, address, email address and telephone number.
We will only market to you whilst you are an active client. After three years of inactivity we will email or call clients to prompt them to see if they wish to remain as an active client. If there is no response we will mark the client’s account closed and store the data for a further seven years. After which time we will redact all personal data leaving only a surname attached to the account and pet clinical record (clients often seek pet clinical data many years after ceasing to an active client of the practice).
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
There are also procedures in place to deal with any suspected personal data breach and we will notify you and the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Our websites may include links to third-party websites. Clicking on those links may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
You can do that by visiting parksidevets.com or by calling 01382 810777. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
Please note that you will need to provide proof of identity – a current passport or driving licence.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Parkside Veterinary Group refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined below.
We take the processing of your personal data very seriously and are here to help with any concerns you may have. Please do contact the Data Protection Manager at parksidevets.com or by calling the practice on 01382 810777.
If you are still not happy with how your personal data is being processed by Parkside Veterinary Group or how your complaint has been handled, you also have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or by calling 0303 123 1113.